Imperial Vienna, the city known for its significant wine production in the last few years is opening its doors for the world of craft beer. As known Austria takes high 3rd place on the world’s list of beer consumption, around 106l every year drinks proper Austrian. Therefore it is a “logical” rise of the craft beer scene. In the next few lines, you can find out where we drink the best craft beer in Austria and a few tips on how to taste the beer like a pro.
The craft beer scene is developing in the last few years and reached the stars with its various beer sorts. In Vienna, we have all, IPAs, Lagers, Pilsners, Bocks, Zwickl, APAs, Weisbeer…etc. Every proper beer lover can find something for himself.
What is craft beer?
Craft beer is a beer brewed microbrewery, which is a type of brewery that produces small amounts of beer, typically much smaller than large-scale corporate breweries, and is independently owned. Such breweries are generally characterized by their emphasis on quality, flavor, and brewing techniques.
Why is it so popular?
According to brewers, for producing craft beer you need love, patience, creativity, and personal touch. Every sort of beer that one makes has an individual note. It makes fun to brew it, cause you can play with the whole pallet of aromas, tastes, spices and adapt it to your wishes. It is said that beer brewing makes 30% fun and 70% of cleaning. Hygiene needs to be at the highest level.
According to Craft Beer consumers, they are willing to pay a bit more for a beer that holds more taste, flavor, and alcohol. Basically, you pay a little bit more, for better quality, that is not to find in industrially produced beers.
How to taste beer like a pro?
There are a few steps that you need to fulfill during the tasting:
- Look – Once you’ve poured your beer, give it a good look. …
- Swirl – Gently give the glass a swirl. …
- Smell – Right after the swirl, take two sharp, quick sniffs of the bouquet, then take a normal sniff. …
- Drink – Now, the moment you’ve been waiting for. …
During the tasting you evaluate 5 things:
- Appearance – how it looks like, how is it served, beer color, foam structure, and color;
- Smell (Aroma) – try to define all tastes that you are smelling, also inhale with your mouth, you will spot difference;
- The first sip – concentrate on the first impression, do now swallow the beer instantly, keep it a bit longer in your mouth;
- Mouthfeel and taste – can you describe your feeling? Is it bitter, sweet, sour, cаn you sense some specific notes or flavors?
- Finish – after the swallowing, beer flavor stays for some time, here you can spot various different aromas compared to other you felt in steps before.
Do not worry if you can not feel much at the beginning, with longer practice your senses will be better and at some point, you will be able to rate your beer more precisely.
The solution is to drink more. 😉
Outside of the city center, on a former royal road is famous Kaltenhauser Bootschaft situated. The exceptional concept in Europe, Hotel-Brewery-Restaurant, and Beergarden as one. We describe it as a heaven for proper beer lovers. This local brewery provides weekly fresh-brewed craft beer which we test on our Craft Beer Tastings. Everything mentioned above you can discover if you join us every Friday and Saturday at 7 PM. Our local beer experts will provide you suggestions and methods during this beer tasting, yet additionally, present you with a brief history and fun facts of the most popular alcoholic beverage in the world.
Craft Beer Tasting you can book easily here.
Join us, learn and discover the world of beer from another perspective.